1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and divided
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey, warmed (plus extra for drizzling)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place an 8 inch cast iron skillet (nonstick is fine too) into the oven.
2. Place first 6 ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In another bowl whisk together eggs, 1/4 cup butter, buttermilk, and honey
5. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until well mixed. Fold in pumpkin mixture.
6. Pour remaining butter into heated skillet and carefully swirl to cover all sides.
7. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
8. Remove from oven and drizzle with a small amount of honey. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.